Sunday, April 18, 2004


Christian Music's New Wave
...At the same time, technology at many churches, especially large megachurches, has replaced the hymn book with video projections of lyrics that can be downloaded from the Internet. Christian labels sell DVD's that include printable lyrics, backing music and computer graphics so congregations can sing the new songs.

Like the megachurches, the music has drawn criticism for emphasizing individual experiences. "A lot of it is interfacing with narcissism," said Robert E. Webber, a professor of ministry at Northern Baptist Theological Seminary in Lombard, Ill.

"The dominant word in these songs is I," he said. "It's `I enthrone you,' `I love you.' The focus is not on God but how I experience God. We congratulate God for being God. Theologically, that says I, a creature of God, have something to contribute to God's well-being."...