Monday, March 13, 2006


'Over-efficient' surgeon must delay operations
A senior surgeon has made a public apology to patients whose operations are being postponed - because he has been too efficient.

Peter Cox, a general consultant surgeon at the West Cornwall Hospital, Penzance, and his colleagues have been told to slow down by the local health authorities.

Not only has Mr Cox met the current six-month waiting list target but he has surpassed it. As a result, more than 50 of his patients are being sent letters telling them that their surgery dates will be put back.

The perverse state of affairs has come about because the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust - which yesterday announced 300 redundancies and an £8 million deficit - has treated 4,600 patients more than were budgeted for in this financial year.

Mr Cox said yesterday: "This is all about finance. The thing that really annoys me is that I cannot see how this will really save any money. All they are doing is deferring the payments to a later date.

"Now I will have spaces in my operating list. They may give me other patients who are close to the waiting time deadline but this will take some time to organise."

In a letter to The Cornishman, newspaper Mr Cox said: "I am writing this letter to apologise to the 50 or more patients who have been given dates for operations under my care, who will shortly receive letters explaining why they have been delayed.

"Although I have tried to prevent this, I am powerless to do so. The directive has come from the Primary Care Trust for the next financial year.

"They have informed the Royal Cornwall Hospitals Trust that they will not pay for routine operations unless the patients have waited at least 18 weeks from the time that they were put on the list....