Tuesday, November 16, 2004


Culture Warrior: Infiltrating the TNPG
I have a family member, an older cousin, who is a (once-fearsome) born again evangelical in a very over-the-top Southern Baptist Conference connected church who is becoming quietly estranged from the movement. He and his family have had social problems within the church for the last few years over money (he has a bunch of kids, 9/11 wrecked the tourism dollar here for two years solid, and he just doens't have money anymore), and it has been humiliating for them, so the family let me in on the backstories and who was safe to talk to and who wasn't in their church. This past election has turned a part time curiousity into a passionate quest, but I believe its time we started fighting this culture war with weapons and insights gathered on their turf. I know that, to some extent, the left has been in the dark previously, but I am not going to surrender to that darkness, I went and got myself a flashlight and 'went digging', and "they" are all a lot more vulnerable to counterattack that I think we have been aware of....