Tuesday, August 12, 2003


More from the Internet Monk
OK. This has been in the oven for months now, and I need to get it out and serve up the meal. (BTW- where are my recipes for using the Guinness extra stout?) I don't like this. It's an article about Southern Baptist couples who are abstaining from almost all physical contanct until they are married. It bothers me.

Now I am not ignorant of this. Far from it. I have observed couples making these types of vows since the early 1980's. There is a thriving chapter of this kind of thinking among good friends of mine. But here is the problem I am having. You are doing something scripture doesn't command, particularly an abstention- "don't ever kiss"- and you are making it into something spiritual A spiritual achievement. Some kind of advanced purity. Gack....