Sunday, September 12, 2004


Outspoken evangelist provokes strong reactions near CC campus
Andrew Nelson, a Colorado College sophomore with a rainbow-dyed beard, watched from the back of the crowd as Jed Smock waved his Bible and condemned Nelson’s peers.

“It really pains me to see this and makes me sad,” said Nelson, a Christian. “It’s just this additional stereotype I have to wear . . . that is forced on me.”

He wasn’t alone. “I don’t see any love in his actions,” said sophomore Betsy Friedlander, also a Christian.

Some students walked away. Some argued. Others mocked him.

To Smock, a man who’s spent 30 years taking his hellfire and brimstone message to college campuses, their reactions did not seem important. It was the message he was intent on giving.

“When you masturbate, you’re already sort of a homosexual,” he said, because by nature, self-gratification is a same-sex act....