Tuesday, December 09, 2003


Stalking The DVD Antichrist
It's the end of worship as we know it...and we feel fine.

by Michael Spencer

I spotted the Antichrist today. He looked back at me from an ad in a flyer from a major Christian retailer, which shall go unnamed, though I don't know why I care about the name. I mean, it was Lifeway, which used to be Baptist Book Store, but it changed its name to sell more stuff to people who weren't Baptist, which is a good thing, I suppose, though, ultimately, it's a market driven decision, which gets around to why the AAntichrist was comfortably looking back at me from that ad. But I digress.

The Antichrist was disguised as a DVD. DVDs are hot right now. I have a bunch of them myself, so I guess I am part of the problem, except I don't buy Christian DVDs. I buy war movies, mostly. With a few westerns, and movies everyone else in the family hates, but I like. "Navy Seals" is a good example. Anyway, this DVD was a "worship" DVD. Instead of just being music, this was the whole show, music and video, live and anointed by the Holy Spirit, who I suppose was left out of the credits. Except this DVD was the Antichrist. How do I know? Because of the title. Bannered across the page was the following unmistakable fingerprint of the Antichrist: "The TOTAL Worship Experience."

See, I told you. The Antichrist. ...